Monday 25 June 2012

For The Art Lovers


If there is one language that the whole world understands, it is the language of art. Of course art is a broad topic and this can span from music to paintings to carvings to the simple crafts of a people but this is one of the things that brings all people together.
Our boss (though he doesn't like to be called that), thought it would be a good idea to take us around to some art galleries and exhibits. The first stop was One Love Gallery. Of course there are the normal curios one would expect in a shop, but these were pure art. Some of the items may have been second hand and a bit dull, but they did not lose their artistic touch.
I'm no art critic, I'll tell you that, but I was simply awed. The statues and statuettes were in such fine detail and the crafts were in amazing shape. Of course, since one of the owners is Japanese, some of the things come from Japan as well.
Having come with a shopping list for several of my family members, I can definitely see myself going back there for something. (How do you think my mum would like a wonderfully decorated glass with a metallic surrounding base and matching saucer? Or perhaps a beautifully woven basket?)
The next stop was another curio shop not far from there. We browsed through the things there and saw a few more gifts for our respective families but I do have to admit that I would not find any of those in the curio shops at home and I am a n avid window shopper.
After the curio shop came the art gallery. It was very interesting to actually see the paintings from a new point of view. Art critic though I am obviously not, as we have already established, I can appreciate a good painting and I saw some very good paintings.
The last gallery however, was the one that amazed me the most.
At the door and to your left, you will notice some paintings of various scenes. One I saw was of a woman about to begin the traditional Rwandan dance and the man behind her banging on his drum with his stick.
Next to that were paintings on some traditional scenes. These were vivid and full or colour and very pleasing to the eye. On the opposite wall were several paintings made up of black and white patterns. Some of them had variations of the white, but there was no doubt about their plain nature. I was confused. Why would you put such beautiful pictures on one side and such ordinary patterns on the other side? So I went to investigate. And I smiled at my discovery.
The artist had chosen to use millions of Maasai beads which were sprinkled over the drawn or painted patterns. Where he varied the white, he used transparent beads. Interesting, I thought.
Then I got to the painting at the furthest end of the gallery and stopped in my tracks.
The longest painting on the furthest wall was painted in colour and done in the same painstaking way. The artist used the beads to colour the faces of the five women in the painting in the same way a painter would. The background hues were also set by the beads. There is no way anyone can overlook such talent and I am glad it can be displayed where it can be appreciated.
Of course, if you like what you see, for a fee of 100,000 Rwandan Franks (about $200), you can get lessons in art for yourself and from what I gather, it will be well worth it.
That was the end of our travels for today, but it is hopefully not the last we will see of art in Rwanda. I doubt this is the case since art can't really be confined to the four walls of a curio shop or a gallery. I think if you look close enough, you can find art anywhere you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment