Wednesday 13 June 2012

How safe is Rwanda?


Some misconceptions about Rwanda stem from the violence of years past. But that is precisely what it is – the past. Since then, the government very wisely took down the barriers between the people and now, there are no more tribal differences, just Rwandans.
From what I have seen of Rwanda, under a great leader, they have come a very long way in eighteen years. I have been down dangerous streets before where you are afraid to look anywhere but intently at your bag lest you are robbed. What I can say about Rwanda is that they have some of the safest streets in the world.
I don't particularly have to worry about being mugged or robbed or that if I drop something that will be the end of my relationship with it. The people here are nice enough to chase after you and let you know what you dropped without taking a thing.
The presence of the police may be a bit daunting to some people, but they are there for security purposes and nothing more. If they bother you at all, they will ask you for identification and nothing more.
I didn't think it was possible to have such a low corruption rate either. When we were being oriented, we were given explicit instructions not to attempt to bribe anyone. Regrettably, this is quite the issue in my country, but here, the penalties are very steep so criminals beware!
All in all, the fact is that Rwanda is very safe, as long as you are on the right side of the law. A few more things are frowned upon that may, to the rest of the world, seem like infringement of rights or lack of development (which is not the case, to be sure), but I think that under the current rule and with the current laws in place, Rwanda is making a very good name for herself.
I sincerely hope that if you do come to Rwanda, and you should, you enjoy your very safe stay in the land of a thousand hills.

No comments:

Post a Comment